The Liberian Government through the Ministry of Education has ordered the immediate closure of all nursery schools in the Country as of July 10, 2021.
According to the Ministry of Education, the Nursery division of all schools from ABC to K-2 have already exhausted lessons intended for the Academic 2020 and 2021. Addressing the Ministry of Information Thursday press briefing in Monrovia, Deputy Education Minister for Planning, Research and Development Attor Kesselly said due to the prevailing rate of COVID-19 in Liberia school going kids particularly in the nursery divisions must stay home.
Mr Kesselly said the closure of all High schools in the country will be before the end of July and reopening of schools, will be determined by Health Authority in Liberia.-
Below is the full Advisory from the Ministry of Education Republic of Liberia.
Adjustment In The Official Academic Calendar 2020/2021
(July 2, 2021, Monrovia-Liberia) – In an effort to curtail and combat the spread posed by the new wave of the deadly Corona virus in the Country, the Ministry of Education in consultation with relevant Health authorities and Education stakeholders has made some slight adjustments in the Academic 2020/2021 calendar to be responsive to the challenges the Country now faces in these difficult times in our Education sojourn.
The slight adjustment made in the Academic 2020/2021 calendar are categorized below:
1. Category 1- Early Childhood Education: This includes Nursery, ABC, K-1, and K-2. These classes whose curricula have already been exhausted will do their assessment exams and close on or before July 10, 2021.
2. Category 2 – Basic Education: This includes Grades 1- 9. Students who fall in this category have already completed the 4th marking period. Therefore, the 5th and 6th periods should be condensed with the key and critical contents that are appropriate and necessary for the absorption for Fair assessment and achievement.
3. During the course of this period, the following exams will be administered:
* Grade 3 assessment test : July 12, 2021.
* Liberia Primary School Certificate Examination (LPSCE) for Grade 6: July 13 & 14, 2021.
* Liberia Junior High School Certificate Examination (LJHSCE) Grade 9 : July 15 & 16,2021.
* All Lower and Upper Basic ( Grades 1- 9) school final exams must be administered from Wednesday August 4 to Tuesday August 10,2021.
* Senior Secondary School ( 10th & 11th Grades) final exams must be administered commencing Monday September 27 to Thursday September 30,2021.
* Senior Secondary School (12th Grade) final examination must be administered beginning Wednesday September 1 to Tuesday September 7, 2021.
* All Senior Secondary Schools ( Grades 10-12) are to remain in school until September 30,2021.
Henceforth, the decision on the reopening of school will be made depending on the prevailing situation and advice from the Ministry of Health and the National Public Health Institute of Liberia (NPHIL).
The Ministry wishes to inform all school administrators, proprietors/ proprietresses, Principals Association, National Teachers Association of Liberia (NTAL), Private School Secretariats and all Education stakeholders as well as the public that the change in the 2020/2021 Academic Calendar is intended to help National Government combat and curtail the further spread of the deadly Corona virus which poses serious threat to our Health and National Security.
Therefore, the Ministry urges school authorities to be in full compliance to the new schedule and absorb the required lessons within the National Curriculum where necessary and appropriate for the growth and sustainability of our human capacity.
The Ministry in the strongest term, also, urged all school administrators to suspend all social activities ( field trip, football games, gala day program, Parade, Queen and King Contests amongst others) as well as all Graduation exercises until further notice from the Ministry of Health and NPHIL.
Finally, the Ministry emphasizes and reiterates that the full compliance in the fight against COVID-19 must be taken seriously by all Liberians by observing the preventive measures prescribed by the Ministry of Health for safe and healthy environment for all.
Remember, your Health is your Wealth! Keep safe! Mask up always!
For more information, please contact the Director of Communications, J Maxime Bleetahn on the following numbers: 0886565264/ 0777212197 or call MoE hotline 1416 or visit our Facebook page: Ministry of Education-Liberia.